Sport is big business. Sport and rights within sport have never been more valuable and there has never been more interest in those competing at the highest level.
Ranked as a leading firm for sports law, Collyer Bristow has acted on behalf of numerous household names (including gold medal winning Olympians, World Cup winners, governing bodies, leading sponsors and rights holders) on all aspects of law relating to the sports industry.
How we can help you
Our team of dedicated sports lawyers is able to provide advice in relation to:
- The exploitation of commercial rights
- Media and broadcasting agreements
- Sponsorship agreements
- Player agreements
- Representation and management agreements
- Image rights structures
- Brand management
- Events and event management
- Equine (especially horse racing) agreements
- The representation of sportspeople in regulatory and disciplinary hearings
- Reputation management
- Dispute resolution
In addition, members of the team can advise leading sportspeople on all of their individual needs from tax and estate planning to high value residential property purchases.
Please see our Motorsports page for more information on our work in the area.
Recent examples of our sports work include:
- Acting for former Brazilian World Cup winning footballer and manager Carlos Dunga in a loan claim against QPR
- Successfully acting for New Zealand cricketer Chris Cairns in the UK's first Twitter libel trial
- Acting for Italian footballer Marco Materazzi in three libel cases against English Newspapers The Daily Star, The Sun, and Daily Mail
What our clients say
"Collyer Bristow LLP is routinely instructed to assist with racing-related agreements for trainers, owners and syndicates; Charles Braithwaite leads the advice. Steven Heffer is experienced in representing sports personalities in breach of privacy and libel proceedings." Legal 500, 2016, Sport
"Collyer Bristow LLP acts for clients in litigation involving copyright issues, trade mark infringements and breaches of privacy, and also advises on non-contentious issues such as commercial agreements and event management." Legal 500, 2015, Sport
"Collyer Bristow regularly handles reputation management issues for individuals, as well as a range of other commercial and contentious work across a broad swathe of sports. Charles Braithwaite is experienced in advising clients on the exploitation of their commercial rights." Legal 500, 2014, Sport